Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Jenna Elfman donated her milk to save a sick baby!

What a hero! 






http://www.bestforbabes.org/2010/11/jenna-elfman-donates-breastmilk-to-save-sick-baby-beats-breastfeeding-boobytraps/


Jenna Elfman has always seemed like a kind and good natured celebrity. I am not sure why I have always liked her. I was shocked to read this article about how she donated her milk to save a meth-addicted newborn. The baby wasn't surviving on formula (shocking!) and only started to come around once he was on 100% human milk. 


She also talks in depth about how she wasn't prepared for breastfeeding. She says " I thought you put the baby on the breast and they sucked and that was it.  There was maybe one sentence on it in my birth class. So . . . when I finally put him on the breast; I didn’t know about latch, I didn’t know about anything!   I was not prepared, and didn’t know that you’re very tired, that you have to feed your baby often so you’re awake a lot, that you’re focusing all your attention on this brand new prize, and that your hormones go through a whole shift.   You potentially have no education about how to breastfeed, yet you still have the duty of feeding your child, and keeping  the child alive." So very true! I took a Bradley Birth class and even that class is more focused on the birth. Thankfully my birthing teaching talked about breastfeeding in depth. I was also blessed to have a mother and some close friends who were able to reach out and help me. (Thanks Mom, Jen C., Kylee, Becky, Rachel B., Liz S., Sherri, and others.) 


Kudos to Jenna Elfman, you are a hero to breastfeeding moms and everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment