Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How it Began for Ardun and Me

Hi, I am Becky, the other half here at the Pumping Station. When I got pregnant w i th Ardun I knew that I was that mom who was going to have a natural childbirth, breastfeed in public and all around be proud of what I had accomplished with my natural pregnancy, midwife birth etc…that sooo didn’t happen.

My pregnancy was awesome, I was healthy, Ardun was healthy and we seemed to be on track for our perfect Bradley Birth. Hmph. I ended up with an emergency C-Section. I was able to have Ardun to my breast at 45 minutes old and we breastfed the entire time I was in the hospital but once we got home, life changed. Ardun started to get dehydrated and, as a new mom, I freaked. I called the lactation consultant who told me he needed to be supplemented; I called the pediatrician who told me the same thing. So, we got some formula. I hate that it happened his second week of life. I was instructed to nurse, feed the pumped milk and then supplement with formula. This went on for about 4 weeks, then, I started to get tired and discouraged. I got to the point where I decided I was better at pumping then he was at nursing and something had to give or I would lose my sanity.

And now, I have love/hate relationship with a machine.

I was rocking the pump, feeling good then, Ardun decided that eating only 2-3oz wasn’t going to cut it and I couldn’t keep up. We had to supplement again, and I had more mommy guilt. Then, our breastmilk angel swooped in and offered her oversupply of milk, so Ardun has been getting my milk and her milk since he was about 8 weeks old. The most amazing gift ever, no joke about it.

So that is my story how I became a Milking Mamacita! We nurse once or twice a day and I rock that pump the rest of the day, and at night, and I mean the MIDDLE of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment