Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Nursing in public.... without a cover!

I have been trying to wrap my brain around the idea of nursing in public with no cover. Its far too hot to nurse with a cover right now, and frankly, I don't see why I should have to.The problem is me, I am innately modest. I have never been the type of female who likes to show skin. I wear pretty conservative attire and I have never worn so much as a bikini. The idea that I have to pull a bare breast out of my shirt and let my baby nurse frightens the hell out of me. What is worse, the idea that some nasty man or woman might approach me and scold me for doing what my body was made to do, nourish my child.


The picture is from: http://www.the-ergo-lady.com/ergo-baby-carrier/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=62&products_id=27


We have been shamed into thinking that breasts belong to men, and are on our bodies for sexual purposes, but that is not true. Our breasts, though serving a sexual purpose, are on our bodies for one reason, nursing.

The feminist in me wants to whip out a boob and feed my child the way god intended, but the American in me, wants to shield everyone from the sight. I hate feeling conflicted because I think nursing is beautiful and I am always excited when I notice a mother nursing in public.

When I hear comments like "ugh, I don't want to see her boobs" I cringe... chances are she doesn't want you to see her boobs either, so stop looking you creepy ass weirdo!

I think we need to have a sort of don't ask, don't tell policy about nursing in public. How about us mothers nurse discretely and we don't ask for attention and you naysayers just mind your own f*****g business? Deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment