Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Is it my arrogance, or am I just far too determined?

When I found out I was pregnant, I knew I was going to breastfeed. I had a mantra "its not optional." I was met with the familiar "oh, just wait and see" and "its hard, that's why I quit" and one mom even looked me dead in the eye and said "good luck!" So, nobody believed in me, I had to prove them wrong. It almost became a game to me. I talked it over with one of my best friends who has twin boys and she said "its hard, but you can do it" and that was all I needed.

I am about to do a huge pat on the back for myself here, but I have been breastfeeding/pumping 100% for my daughter for 18 weeks straight. Seems like its been forever, but I have been lugging that stupid pump to work for almost 3 months. I have to talk myself in to taking a break to pump every day, but I have enticed myself with a book that has drawn me in so much that I actually welcome my pumping breaks.

Breastfeeding did hurt... for about a week or two. It hurt bad. I remember crying at one point because I was bleeding. I have very soft and fair skin, and man, it didn't love being chewed and sucked on. Once I mastered the "push your whole areola in the mouth" thing, I was doing much much better.  Get help! If you're struggling, get help!

I was blessed with a pretty decent supply of milk. I have ever had a problem producing enough for my kid, or even enough to give some away to a friend who wasn't blessed with enough. I am a lazy pumper though, let me tell you. I see what Becky does for her son, and it floors me the amount of work she puts into feeding her child. Did you see her schedule?

Mine looks something like this:

6am- nurse and fall back to sleep.
6:40ish- wake up and get ready.
7:20 pump- I usually get at least 6oz, sometimes up to 10, sometimes as little as 3. Depends on how hungry the chompasaurus is the night before.
10-11am- pump at work. I usually get 5-6 oz.
1pm come home and nurse.
4:15 pm come home and nurse and if  I need to pump, I do.
7pm nurse
8:30 pm- nurse E to sleep
9pm- Pump, if I need to.
Between 12-3 she wakes up hungry, generally. I put boob in mouth and go back to sleep.

All in all, its pretty damn easy. I wish I could give Becky half of my supply... I wish it was this easy for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment